CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »
"To the world you may be one person...but to one person you may be the world..."

About Me

Melissa
I grew up in a village of 500 people and now live in a beach town of 10 000. Wife to Jeff, Mama to Makenna and Jack. This is my place to share what's up with us, and the place where I sometimes need to pour my heart out about the not so sunshiney moments. This is my happy place. Thanks for stopping by :) Copyright 2012 by Melissa Wormington, that no part of this blog may be reproduced in any form or by any electronic or mechanical means, without permission from the publisher.
View my complete profile

The Wormingtons

The Wormingtons
Jeff, Makenna, Jack and Melissa. Spring 2012. Photo credit: Tricia Denomme/Hope Photography

Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Lost and Found, and not so much.

Well...antisocial swim team mom it is.  Good thing @jennileeblack understands. 

I am referring to trying to carve out a time within my day to blog.  Today, it's during Makenna's swim team practice.  Here I sit, at our local YMCA, laptop open, whistles and splashes in the backround. 

Because I have something I want to write about!

So, as mentioned several times now, I was away this past weekend.  About a month ago I was away for an extended weekend in New York City with some girlfriends. 

Both times my children were in Daddy's care. 

I am lucky in that Daddy is awesome.  He cooks, he cleans, he does laundry, he folds laundry, he oversees homework. He attended a 6 week evening math program with Jack in September and October.   When I was in New York he even got my daughter ready for a Friday night kids dance.  He makes lunches, he gets the kids to and from school and swimming lessons on days when I can't,  he lets the kids eat at the couch all weekend when I'm gone, he takes them horseback riding when I'm gone...etc etc etc.  Yes, Daddy is awesome. 

Having said all that...

The weekend I went to New York City, I dropped the kids off at school in the morning, and headed out to Buffalo that afternoon, which meant Daddy picked them up from school.  I hadn't even got to Buffalo yet when I recieve a text:

"Makenna has lost her jacket"

How is this possible?  It's not warm outside.  She needs it.  She had it this morning, what do you mean she's lost it?

"I don't know, she said she doesn't know where it is"

Well, very little I can do about this from where I am.  She will just have to wear a different coat tomorrow.  Thankfully she just got one for her birthday.   Meanwhile, I facebook message the leader of her Before and After School Program to ask her to have a look for it.
From Buffalo.  Enroute to my Girls weekend in New York City. 

Then, the next night, after a very full first day in NYC, I am catching up with my husband via facebook chat (Thank you Hampton Inn for free wifi), thoroughly impressed that he has dealt with getting her ready for the kids dance all on his own when he says:

"Oh, by the way, she lost her other coat today."

WTF?

How does my 8 year old lose 2 coats in 2 days? 

"Well, she thinks she left it in her classroom, so we went back to check but the door's locked." 

Whatever.  I am in NYC and to be blunt, this is not my problem at this time. 

I get home late Sunday night, at the stroke of midnight.  I walk in the door, drop my stuff in the middle of the floor, and crawl into my bed.  I had to work the next day and the kids had school.  I was exhausted and had to get up early the next morning.

That Monday morning, I reunite with my children while hurriedly getting ready for work and school.  I check the backpacks to ensure they are ready to go.  Jack's agenda bag isn't there.  I later find it in with the mail.  No biggie.  I can deal with that. 

Makenna still doesn't have a coat.  She went all weekend without a proper jacket and now, wouldn't you know it, Jack's is missing too. 

Seriously?!?! 

So I text Daddy, trying to keep calm.

Is Jack's coat in your truck? 

"Um yeah, I think so...do you need it?

Uh yeah.  Yeah I do.  It's October.  He will be outside at school. He's 4.  A jacket would be nice. 

The kids and Daddy are notorious for leaving stuff in the truck.  It drives me bananas. 

 After Daddy brings back the jacket, I take the kids to school, find both of  Makenna's jackets there, out in the open in plain sight, and vent inwardly to myself about being the only one seemingly capable of such a task when I wasn't even here when they were "lost", and carry on with my day. 

Fast forward to this past weekend.  I get home Sunday afternoon and lie all over the couch, exhausted from my weekend of awesomeness in Toronto.  Monday morning I am getting the kids ready to go to school, mid October in Midwestern Ontario now and no fall hats or mitts that they wore all last week can be found. 

Honestly......I was away for 53 hrs.  (Thanks Jen for figuring that out). 

I spew all this frustration out to my children about how I was not even there on the weekend so this was not my problem and they would just have to be cold at school that day.  I text Daddy. 
Are their hats/mitts in your truck? 

Uh, no, don't think so...

Awesome. 

Found out that evening Jack's were left at school all weekend (Daddy picked up on Friday afternoon) and Makenna's were in the front pocket of her backpack.  The pocket she never ever uses. 

To finish me off, yesterday when I picked the kids up from the After School Program, after rounding up Jack's fall hat and mitts and waiting for him to switch from indoor to outdoor shoes, I realize Makenna isn't wearing the sweater she was sent to school in; she's just wearing her T shirt with her jeans. 

I don't even want to ask.

Where's your sweater? 

The Aeropostle one she had her school picture taken in. 

She gives me the deer in the headlights look.

Uh...I think it's on the hooks by my classroom...want me to go look?

Which of course in on the other side of building.  Which of course proved pointless because the sweater wasn't there. 

Maybe someone accidentally took it home? 

Again I spewed.

Theonlywaysomeonecouldtakeithomewouldbeifyoutookitoffwhichyoushouldn't!!!!!
IfIdidn'tthinkyouneededasweaterIwouldn'tsendyoutoschoolinone!!!!!!

SERIOUSLY!!!!! 

My daughter has been like this since the day she started JK.  She is now in grade 3.  Smart as a whip but absent minded like you would not believe. 

Yes, Daddy, I know she gets this from me.  The one who loses her keys/phone/wallet/whatever on a daily basis. 

The sweater is still missing. N oit is not in Lost and Found.  I am pissed. 

I have decided that at some point during each week when I go pick the kids up from After School Program, I am just going to throw  $20 in one of the garbage cans there. 

Because really.  That seems to be where it's going anyway. 

Disclaimer:  I really do love my children.  Very much.  But I am also a typical mom who has pet peeves. 

0 comments: