CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »
"To the world you may be one person...but to one person you may be the world..."

About Me

Melissa
I grew up in a village of 500 people and now live in a beach town of 10 000. Wife to Jeff, Mama to Makenna and Jack. This is my place to share what's up with us, and the place where I sometimes need to pour my heart out about the not so sunshiney moments. This is my happy place. Thanks for stopping by :) Copyright 2012 by Melissa Wormington, that no part of this blog may be reproduced in any form or by any electronic or mechanical means, without permission from the publisher.
View my complete profile

The Wormingtons

The Wormingtons
Jeff, Makenna, Jack and Melissa. Spring 2012. Photo credit: Tricia Denomme/Hope Photography

Friday, February 10, 2012

Happy Birthday Jack!

Every year, Jeff and I each write separate letters to our children on their birthdays.  To learn more about this, click here.  

Dear Jack,

Snow is quietly falling outside the window as I write this, your fourth birthday letter.  The weather is very different today than it was 4 years ago.   In fact, the weather has been a major factor in the second half of your third year.
The biggest story of this past year was, of course, the F3 tornado that came through Goderich on August 21.  The one that, at just 3.5 years old, destroyed your home and life as you knew it.

Yes, what a year you have had.  You were finally old enough for swimming lessons this past fall and although you initially resisted them...strongly resisted them...you love them now.  Just like you initially resisted being enrolled in Goderich 's Municipal Daycare this fall...strongly resisted it....eventually you came around and worked your infectious personality, charming most, if not all of the staff members.  It was hard for you, not being able to go to Jodi's as you always had.  The 5 month break from there while she was off with Baby Liam was the first time in 6 years I had to find alternative daycare...it was hard for me too.  Turns out you truly got the best of both worlds with Mrs Brenda and Jodi; this week you returned to Jodi's Home Daycare but remain in Brenda's class at the town Daycare on Mondays.  You have made some good little friends at daycare, especially with Hunter, Carman and Dylan, and are so excited for your first playdate without mommy this weekend.

Your third year was a difficult one as the outside world threw us some major curveballs at the same time you were exercising your independence, determination and, shall we say..."stubborn" traits.  You and your dad clashed many times and I was given a good glimpse into what your daddy must have been like as a boy, and also into what I have to look forward to as you get older.

But there were so many fun, wonderful, positive things about this year too.  Potty training is well behind us now, (other than overnights) and you have had your first round of visits to the dentist.  You write your name, know your letters, colours, numbers, shapes and so much more, inside out.  You had your first exeperiences with both water slides and toboggans this year, and can't wait to learn how to ride your new bike.  You like dressing up and playing as firefighters and police officers just as much as you like playing barbies and littlest pet shops with your sister who is, by far, your very best friend.  This year we saw you go through phases of Blue's Clues, Backyardigans, Super Mario Brothers, and most recently Toy Story and Dinosaurs.  You continue to be a terrible eater at home but a fine eater everywhere else.  Some of your favourite foods are pancakes, sausage,  egg salad and kraft dinner.

It was very exciting to watch you take your first major trip, first airplane ride, just a couple weeks ago when our family travelled to Mexico with Gran and Grandma Tam.  We also spent time with Uncle Wayne, Aunt Connie and my cousins Travis and Kirby while there. One of my favourite moments was seeing the empathy you showed towards Makenna when she was panicking about the flight.  You calmly reassured her there was nothing to worry about and that everything would be fine and my heart swelled at your capacity to show empathy at such a young age.  You had such a fun time on that trip and keep asking when we are going back. 

Now that Makenna is involved in various extra curricular activities, you really enjoy your one on one time with Mom and especially Dad.  This summer you will be old enough for soccer and baseball and I am anxious to see which one you prefer.

 Deep down you are still very much a Mama's boy and my favourite time of the day is when you crawl into my bed to snuggle with me before I get up each morning.  Even though you want to do everything at your own pace and on your own schedule, you still ask to be carried, snuggled and babied from time to time.  Your determination and strong personality can drive me absolutely crazy most days, but I keep telling myself that all of these qualities will serve you very well when you get older.
I think my most favourite thing about you is that infectious, full belly, make everybody smiles, laugh of yours.  It gets me every time.  You really are the sweetest boy.  I love the age you are right now and wish I could freeze time and keep you this size forever.
As I look ahead, I see another year full of change for you.  By this time next year we will be in  our new house back in our old neighbourhood and you will be halfway through your first year of school.  My only hope is that those changes bring better reactions then the ones from this past year.

The weather has been such a major factor in the lives of our family this past year.  Thank you for always bringing me sunshine when I needed it.   I can always count on you to make me happy when my skies are grey.

Love you buddy. Happy Birthday!

Love Mommy
xoxo.

0 comments: