CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »
"To the world you may be one person...but to one person you may be the world..."

About Me

Melissa
I grew up in a village of 500 people and now live in a beach town of 10 000. Wife to Jeff, Mama to Makenna and Jack. This is my place to share what's up with us, and the place where I sometimes need to pour my heart out about the not so sunshiney moments. This is my happy place. Thanks for stopping by :) Copyright 2012 by Melissa Wormington, that no part of this blog may be reproduced in any form or by any electronic or mechanical means, without permission from the publisher.
View my complete profile

The Wormingtons

The Wormingtons
Jeff, Makenna, Jack and Melissa. Spring 2012. Photo credit: Tricia Denomme/Hope Photography

Saturday, January 15, 2011

The Kids in my Kitchen: Banana Muffins!

"The Kids in my Kitchen" is part of an ongoing series where I blog a recipe the kids and I made together. Why do I think it's important for my kids to be in my kitchen with me? Read this.

On Friday afternoon, Jack and I decided to make some banana muffins. We got all set up and got him all dressed up.


Santa found Chef hats for both kids at Kulpeppers in Goderich and the apron came from Grandma Wormington. So cute.


The recipe for these muffins comes from my mom. Her "cookbook" was an old orange binder and almost every recipe in it was handwritten, collected from her mom and other women in her life. I have tried other banana muffin recipes in the past, but these will always be my favourite, perhaps because they are so familiar. These are always the standard I measure other banana muffins to, because these were the only ones I had, for years and years and years. My mom used to make them every single weekend (Once I had moved out - of course), for her and my brother's lunches. They are so easy, so quick, and kids love 'em. When she first started helping me make these quite some time ago, Makenna thought it was pretty neat that those old yucky bananas with the big brown spots are perfect for banana muffins. She always enjoys watching as we bring the black ones out of the freezer, thaw them and then add them to the bowl.


First, mash up 3 bananas and an egg.



Add everything else (recipe below)


We just use the masher to stir everything up.

And pour into muffin pan

love the look of concentration :)


Waiting anxiously...

Makenna surfaced from playing in the basement just in time to lick the bowl.


And the spoon(s)...

25 minutes later...
Yay!!


Makenna didn't want to wait. She took one right away and the butter melted right in. Mmmmm...


Jack didn't mess with butter. He just ate it straight up.

With chocolate milk.








Banana Muffins
3 lg bananas
1 egg
3/4 cup white sugar
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
2 tbsp milk
1 tbsp lemon juice
1 tsp baking soda
1/3 cup veg oil
1 1/2 cups flour

Mix banana and egg. Mix everything else. Add milk and lemon juice last.

**Sometimes as a treat we will throw in some chocolate chips or some walnuts but usually we just stick to the above recipe.


Bake at 375 F for 25 mins. Makes 12 muffins, that never last long enough in this house. Makenna is not one for traditional breakfasts like toast or cereal; she would rather have fruit or muffins, so these are perfect. Both yesterday morning and this morning she came downstairs on her own, got the butter out of the fridge and got herself a muffin before anyone else was out of bed. I must admit, I do love that. They are great snacks, and easy to travel with as well. We made these Friday and just finished the last ones this morning. That's okay though, carrot muffins are on today's agenda!


:)











0 comments: